What Is Motivational Enhancement Therapy
Motivational Enhancement Therapy has assisted many people to recover by emphasizing change that is internally motivated in their targeted therapy sessions.
Modifying the inner motivation is the main objective of the MET and to do it, it uses a counselling and intervention. 12 step treatment and other counselling techniques are normally combined with MET. MET is done in four focused treatment meetings, once the first study is done. Every session is personalised for the requirements of the particular individual. Before treatment goals are set, the information that is acquired during the assessment is analysed in the initial sessions. Thereafter, the sessions look forward to providing the patient with the perspective and the positive reinforcement for staying sober.
Learning how to change one's thoughts and habits is important in overcoming addiction and this is what MET teaches.
Motivational Enhancement Therapy Utilised For Addiction Treatment
An individual's treatment requirements are assessed at the time they enter the treatment centre. Doctors normally screen a patient's imperative signs and the body's progressions amid withdrawal from the medication.
After this, MET counsellors cooperate with individuals to aid in altering their ideas and conducts connected to use of substances.
MET is also helpful in treating co-occurring mental disorders. The functions of the brain change because of these mental issues along with the drugs, and many addicts have these type of troubles. Preventing setbacks and treating the mental issues are part of MET.
Some co-occurring Conditions, Which Can Be Treated By MET Include
- OCD - Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder [PTSD]
- Bipolar disorder
- Unhealthy eating behaviours
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 772 3971
Other Treatments With Met
MET often is used as part of a comprehensive addiction treatment program along with several other types of behavioural therapies. These include the 12-step program and cognitive-behavioural therapy [CBT]. Patients are taken through various methods that attempt to get them to change their habits. 12-steps program offers a stage by stage process to achieve and keeping the addict away from drugs, while CBT teaches methods to deal with stress in a good way.
Met Therapy And Methods
Patients and therapists will work together through the five critical elements of MET.
The methods used in MET have been seen to make recovering drug users want to change their habits.
- Developing And Expressing Empathy
- So they can appreciate the effects of their actions on others, patients are encouraged to become more empathetic.
- Empathy can provide the motivation needed to make someone change.
- Compassion likewise builds up a trusting relationship between a patient and specialist.
- Accepting divergence among ideas and actuality.
- It is important that patients accept the reality that they are not really where they think they are in life if they are to be more receptive to the treatment.
- The inner motivation necessary to start the change can start by realizing this difference.
- Preventing Quarrels
- How hard the addicts have used the drugs is not a theme of discussion during the sessions.
- Patients are urged to have a positive reaction and attitude toward MET.
- Acknowledging reluctance as element of the procedure.
- MET can help addicted individuals overcome their resistance to the treatment which is highly needed by them.
- Therapists connect with recouping addicts on an individual level, helping them understand how their practices are affecting their objectives and connections.
- Encouraging A Recovering Addict's Self-Efficacy
- It is important for the recovering user to believe that they have what it takes to meet their own objectives.
- MET shows patients they have the ability to defeat dependence and to endeavour towards their life objectives.
- Positive thoughts and behaviours are encouraged by the therapists within the patients to reinforce the concept of self-efficacy.
Get Support For A Drug Or Alcohol Dependency
We can assist if you know anyone who is struggling with an addiction to drugs or alcohol. Numerous inpatient and outpatient tranquilize recoveries comprehend the requirement for emotional wellness advising amid habit treatment. To accomplish an effective quitting process contact 0800 772 3971, motivations is needed.