What To Carry Along When Going For Rehab
Rehab treatment centres permit certain things and prohibit certain items; you should know the policy of your rehab treatment facility beforehand.
Rehab centres have various policies, which are strict about what you can bring with you during the treatment. These prohibited items will be outlined in a form before come in so you are aware.
Following your arrival at the treatment centre, you are required to check in and initiate the admission process. Your clinic's welcome staff will check your bags to guarantee safety and that nothing forbidden is sneaked through. Many inpatient facilities record the stuff you bring in their database in order to ensure none of your stuff is left behind when you check out.
You can carry the necessities with yourself. Every clinic has rules on additional items.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 772 3971
Looking For Packing Info
Have a look at the "What to Bring" section of your clinic's website you don't know what is allowed and prohibited or queries about packing. You can check the FAQs if such packing information does not have a dedicated webpage. You can do your packing with packing specifications that some clinics provide. If you are still unable to find the information required you are advised to contact the admissions office of the rehab. They will let you know of all the items. This will also be an opportune moment for you to inquire about anything that you were not sure with.
What Most Rehab Centres Recommend You To Carry
Set of regulations are severer than others depending on each clinic.
Majority of centres advise patients to bring these
- Details of people who form your support group (family and close friends, doctors, 12-step sponsors, and others).
- You are also allowed to carry the jewellery which is used regularly and is considered as a necessity like your wedding rings or a watch.
- Except for the above you are advised to leave all valuables at home.
- Alarm clock with no other features like radio or what not.
- You will be provided these items in some facilities, so confirm about this before purchasing one.
- Existing prescription medication should have complete and accurate labels and original container.
- All the medicines must be up to date and prescribed by a certified doctor.
- It is recommended to carry the names of every medication you are taking and its dose with you.
- Some money but not a lot of it.
- Your check book, credit or debit card for therapy medication expenses.
- Your insurance cards and an ID (driving license, passport, etc.)
- A calling card [if the facility chosen by you needs them for long-distance phone calls].
- A journal or diary.
- Stamps and envelopes if you need to mail post.
- Some picture of close relatives and friends.
- Books and magazines will probably be given by your clinic.
- In case you insist on bringing your own reading material, they are to be recovery related, self-help and spiritual materials.
- Tip It is better if you bring paperbacks than hardcovers because they are lighter.
What Clothing You Can Carry
It is common for rehabs to have strict dress policy in place and that's why you should check with the centre first. In case where you are not sure, consider to bring articles that you can use in layering in case of cold weather.
You have to bear in mind that the sizes of the rooms in the facility may not be as big as your room at home.
You should carry enough clothing for a week because you will have access to a laundry machine within the centres. Try not to bring clothes which require special washing like dry cleaning for example.
You should carry along about seven days of comfortable and with appropriate clothing, including the following
- Shoes An everyday comfortable shoes, a training or sports shoes for fitness activities, and flip flops for showering
- Shirts You need to make sure you bring the shirts that are allowed in that facility, tank tops need to be accompanied by cardigans.
- Shorts The dress code of the centres will determine the length of the shorts.
- A dress or two for any special events like appreciation or family night.
- Bathing suits a one-piece for women and trunks for men is usually enough.
- A Jacket/Coat.
- A bathrobe.
- A belt.
- A hat some centres do not permit hats indoors.
Hygiene And Beauty Products To Take
A number of centres require alcohol-free toiletries and personal products. Some may allow you to bring products, which do not have alcohol within the first three ingredients that are listed. No aerosols are allowed.
Personal hygiene and beauty products that last for a month have to be carried along and they are
- Toothpaste and toothbrush
- Hair styling products (pump hair spray only)
- Hair brush
- Products used mostly by females
- Shaving cream
- Sun cream
Items Not To Take To Rehab
Certain items are not allowed inside the premises of rehab centres. These are important to warrant a safe environment that is conducive to your wellness and recovery. These are the screened contrabands
- Drugs and alcohol
- Medicines that are not prescribed
- Sharp tools
- Unsuitable videos
- Foods and drinks
- Alcohol based toiletries and personal effects
- Unsealed over-the-counter medicines
- Nail polish and other related products
- Movie DVDs and games
- Sporting equipment
- Revealing attire (tank tops, sleeveless shirts, midriff bearing tops, etc.)
- Cleaning supplies [bleach, ammonia, etc.]
- Electronics [televisions, gaming consoles, etc.]
- Gaming materials
- Incense or candles
- Drug related clothing
Playing cards, games and movies may be surprising contrabands for you but rules are rules. The idea behind banning them is to minimize distractions and help you stay focused on recovery. They will provide screening schedules or any equivalent at their specified time.
You will also find that food from outside and drinks are banned because the centres maintain a moderate sugar and caffeine environment. Three healthy meals, beverages, and snacks are provided by the centre. Inform your clinic before admission if you have special needs.
These Items Are Permitted By Some Clinics But Not Others
There are clinics that may permit items that are forbidden in others as every centre has its regulations. A lot of things are off limits in nearly all centres, but these items might be allowed in some
- Computer Equipment
- The laptops and pcs are restricted in some places while allowed in others depending on the rehabs policies.
- Just make sure that your chargers and power cords are brought with you.
- Cigarettes are permitted at certain centres if you are a smoker.
- However, you may be restricted in the number of cigarettes you are to take in a day.
- Vitamins and OTC Medications
- OTC medications should be brand new.
- Chewing gums
- It must be unopened and sealed.
- Music Players
- You should not be able to access the internet with these device else it will taken from you.
- Some clinics permit cameras without internet connection for those who love pictures.
- Disposable or Electric Shavers or Razors
- Because there is risk of injury, many centres don't allow them.
- You can bring disposable razors with you.
- Nail Clippers
- Nail clippers may be banned by some centres, but this is not a common habit.
- Things That Remind You Of Home
- Many centres allow patients to bring their own mattresses and pillows and other stuff to give their room a more homely appearance.
- Just double check with your rehab centre if these are indeed allowed before stuffing them into your luggage.
Will My Property Be Handed Over If It Was Confiscated Upon Admission
In cases where you have brought a banned or prohibited item, just keep calm and cooperate. The personnel will just endorse it to your accompanying friend or loved one. In case you came alone, the centre might hold the item for a certain period of time, during which someone from your family can collect it. You may also choose to pick the after the session ends.
There are higher probabilities that you will go to a clinic alone if you reached the centre by plane. We highly recommend that you consult and clarify with the rehab centre first about their policies and other things of concern. You would obviously want any prohibited items that you've brought along by mistake to be returned to you when you leave. If the centres do not store the items, you can ask them to ship them back for you.
Make Packing For Rehab Simple Read and stick to the policies of your centre; in case of a doubt, call them up. Facilitate the application process by reviewing the packing checklist of your clinic's website. As a generally suggested idea, pack and travel light and keep it to bare essentials.
Act Now For Help
A number of treatment centres will allow you to bring certain things, which can make your life comfortable during the treatment. Our specialists are more than ready to help you find a centre that allows you to do just that.
We can help you find the best centre, call us today on 0800 772 3971.