What Happens To The Ones I Love
Being worried about your children, spouse, or pets while you're in treatment is normal, but there are many ways to make sure they're being cared for while you are in rehab.
Addict's family is one of the main worries they face when they require a treatment; they are concerned about their financial security, where they will live and if they can contact them once they get into treatment.
Understanding your alternatives can help you make the right decision for you and your loved ones since these challenges can be beaten.
Your family will receive the best loving attention while away by making good plans for them and seeking the assistance of other people before embarking on the recovery program.
- Who will look after my children while I am in rehab?
- Suppose I have no relative to take care of them, what next?
- What extra choices are present?
- Can my family pay me a visit there?
- How will I meet financial obligations when in treatment?
- How do I tell my children about going to rehab?
- Who will care for my pet when I go into rehab?
- How will I stay in touch with the people I love while in rehab?
- How can I find treatment now?
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 772 3971
Child Care Options For Those In Rehabilitation
Finding someone you trust to care for your children can be difficult if you're thinking about going to rehab. However, a number of child care choices are available for the duration you will be in treatment.
The first choice should be a person close to your family who is already known to the children and they are comfortable with them.
If you need help finding treatment, get in touch with us today on 0800 772 3971.
A lot of parents in treatment ask for help from their
- Boyfriend or girlfriend
- Their parents
- Brothers or sisters
- Close family friends
You can put them in the custody of reputable child care during the day if your friends and family have work or school to attend to. if there are child care services in your neighbourhood, some rehab centres can link you up with them if the rehab centre doesn't have one.
Some rehab centres will even let your children stay with you in treatment if you are a single parent. They can also help your kid if they have some psychological problems related to the addiction they will try to help you overcome.
Call us now and we'll help you find a rehab that will let your child stay with you.
Letting Your Children Know About Your Journey To Rehab
It's important to talk to your child about your addiction and why you're going to treatment. It will help them deal with you not being there and to understand the situation. It will also reassure than that it is not their fault.
Follow these instructions when you are speaking with your kids
- Learn more about your addiction and treatment.
- It will help you talk to your children about it if you know more.
- Communicate in a language that is appropriate for their age and level of understanding.
- Medical terms should be left out of the discussion.
- Choose the best time to talk to them.
- A relaxed environment that has minimal interruption and distractions is best.
- Accept the impact that your addiction has had on them and recognize their feelings.
- If they feel betrayed, express regret for your actions.
- Be very true and open to interrogations.
- Remember to put emphasis on the fact that they are not the cause of your addiction and they cannot control your decisions and choices.
"Seven Cs" have been created by the National Association for Children of Alcoholics help children learn how to cope with drug or alcohol abuse of their parents. The principle help the children realize that they are not responsible for the problem, hence, the are repeatedly asked to learn the principle by heart. It also provides support for how to deal with their parent's addiction.
The Seven Cs
- I didn't cause it
- I cannot cure it
- I cannot control it
- I can take better care of myself
- By communicating my feelings
- Making smart choices and
- Celebrating me
Non-Profit And Government Child Care Choices
There are many alternatives for you if you are having problems finding a person close to you to take care of your kids. Safe Families for Children is an NGO that can handle that responsibility. Kids who are abandoned by their parents are sheltered by this NGO. Safe Families for Children carefully vets volunteer families to ensure that your kids will be in good hands and well looked after. You will be able to preserve custody while you are in rehab and after it thanks to these organizations.
If there are no such programs that match what you need as a family, you may consider voluntary foster placement if it is offered in your state. In many cases, this is the last option.
If you decide to put your kid in foster care, you will have to approve to a Voluntary Placement Agreement (VPA). Signing it means that you will be transferring the custody and care of your child to the Department of Children's Services temporarily. You could be required to pay child support on a monthly basis.
Opting for this method is really frightening, but it is a choice. Just strictly follow the terms of the VPA and appear at any necessary court dates. You need to keep in mind that the greatest thing you can do for your kid and yourself is to beat your addiction.
Pet Care Alternatives For Treatment
Some families consider their pets as part of the family. Similar to dependents with kids, people with pets often strive to discover a very good caregiver. There are options if family and friends aren't able to care for your pet while you're in treatment.
Most boarding facilities have long term options, but this can cost a lot of money. For any pets that require minimal care, like cats, fish, or rodents, a pet sitter may be a more reasonable option. To take care of the pets, they will visit your home a few times daily or weekly. Others will go to the extent of letting your pets live with them till you come back. Pets that require more care such as dogs will find this beneficial.
Make sure you provide detailed instructions, contact information for your vet, and your pets relevant medical records for someone caring for your pet while you are in treatment. Be certain to give word to your Vet that your pet will be in the attention of a different individual for the period of your program.
Some treatment centres will allow you to bring your pet with you if leaving them is not a viable option. Despite this exercise becoming very popular, pet-friendly therapy is still very uncommon. You may be forced to go to another city or state to get a program. If you do not have access to a facility that allows you to reside with your pet, you may find one that lets your pet to be brought over during visits.
Visitation With Loved Ones When In Treatment
Majority of programs have established that loved ones are a critical part of the treatment and having their support is extremely crucial for you to fully recover.
Visitation and communication (email, phone calls, etc.) are not permitted for the first 3-7 days to help you adjust.
Once you are done with this initial phase, most centres allow specific visitation times.
There are programs that let you have daily visits when you have free time while others have weekly or monthly visits. Every program has its own visitation time.
There are visitors who may be included in a visitor's list by your counsellor so as to see you. There are some basic conditions that must be met before a visitor will be approved, go through the terms and conditions of the rehab whether they meet them or not.
When In Rehab Communicating With Loved Ones
You have a few ways to communicate with loved ones when you're in treatment. It depends with plan, though a good number of centres accept phone and internet use (email) at assigned periods. Sending and receiving letters is also permitted.
Some places will even allow you to receive care packages from your loved ones. Although, they will probably be accessed by staff immediately for security reasons. If there are forbidden things, ask for these from the administrators of the facility.
Family rehab may as well be present. In many addiction cases, loved ones are also affected by the condition. These meetings give chance for recognition of every person's emotions and treatment by all.
Monetary Help For Your Family Whilst In Rehab
If your family loses your income while you're in rehab, the cost can be an especially hard financial weight to bear. There are a number of ways you can reduce the financial pressure as you go along. These include
- Use your paid time off that you have left, as well as sick leave days after a discussion with your boss.
- That way you can still be paid for a part of for all of the time spent in rehab if you have saved a sufficient number of these days.
- Request your loved one, (friends and family) for help.
- Your medical bill or other bills may be taken care of by individuals who are ready to lend a helping hand.
- You should also consult your health insurer to establish if they can pay for some of your treatment expenses.
- Medicaid/ Medicare and the Affordable Care Act provide choices to support pay for dependence therapy.
- Check with your employer to find out if they offer short-term disability and if the policy will cover drug and alcohol rehabilitation.
- These choices may assist lower the total expenses.
- You might be able to get more manageable payments if your facility offers special financing or payment plan options.
If your family can't keep up with bills while you're getting treatment, try to get extensions or ask your creditors to change dues dates. Most of the individuals can associate to dependence and will acclaim your stand to be sober, thus they may be ready to function with you.
Choosing Addiction Treatment To Benefit You And Your Family
Being separated from your family while you're away in treatment are valid concerns. Everybody that decides on getting treatment deals with similar emotions. Seeking professional assistance shouldn't be discouraged because of anxiety. Your family and you will benefit if you can put your addiction behind you.
Don't spend one more second of your lives on addiction.